General News
21 February, 2026
Tougher bail laws
STRONGER bail monitoring laws for youth offenders will be rolled out across Queensland after new legislation was passed by parliament last week.

Member for Mulgrave Terry James MP announced the changes at Norman Park, Gordonvale, last Friday, saying the reforms make the stronger bail monitoring laws permanent and expand their reach.
“We’re announcing the stronger use of bail monitoring laws,” he said.
“Which is making them permanent.”
Under the changes, courts across Queensland will be able to impose electronic monitoring devices on youth offenders aged between 10 and 17.
“Prior to this, it was limited to youth aged between 15 and 17.”
Mr James said the reforms applied to young people on bail who have committed serious offences.
“It gives any court in Queensland, not just the higher courts, the ability to impose electronic monitoring devices on these kids that I just said, between 10 years old and 17 years old, who have committed serious offences, including first-time offenders.”
He said that under the previous government, first-time offenders were not included.
Mr James said breach of bail would continue to be treated as an offence.
“If they breach bail, it’s another offence.”
He said the changes gave magistrates and judges additional options when setting bail conditions.
“This gives them the ability to enforce stronger bail conditions, which they didn’t have before. That was the issue.”
Mr James said police supported the reforms.
“Police are on board. Absolutely,” he said.
“It provides the police with extra tools to do their job.”
The legislation was passed in parliament last Wednesday and will commence following royal assent. The reforms form part of broader measures to address youth crime across Queensland.